Google

The Deipnosophist

Where the science of investing becomes an art of living

My Photo
Name:
Location: Summerlin, Nevada, United States

A private investor for 20+ years, I manage private portfolios and write about investing. You can read my market musings on three different sites: 1) The Deipnosophist, dedicated to teaching the market's processes and mechanics; 2) Investment Poetry, a subscription site dedicated to real time investment recommendations; and 3) Seeking Alpha, a combination of the other two sites with a mix of reprints from this site and all-original content. See you here, there, or the other site!

05 April 2007

Music for the weekend, but offered on Thursday

Music does not get much better than this, Beth Orton's most recent CD...









I find nary a false lyric written, chord hit, or note sung on this entire CD. In truth, I would like to claim this entire CD qualifies as perfect - from music to musicianship to the marvelous cover art, but allow for individual sensibilities. So how about superb, extraordinary, exceedingly excellent?

Which makes it extraordinarily difficult to select one song to share from the CD's total of 19 that, above all others, speaks volumes. Good lord, from Conceived (the first single) to Rectify to Shopping Trolley to Heart of Soul to the title song, the gorgeous Comfort of Strangers. Hmm, perhaps Pieces of Sky




These memories are just pieces of sky
Pieces of something much bigger than I
To anyone else just endless blue
I see time framed, an image of you
These memories hold me like the moon
Holds the sea like the sky holds the sun
The sea holds my tears and carries me
When my heart is too heavy for one

When it’s over, it’s over
I best get busy living
Been a long time gone

A dress made of air and webs and dew
The way dreams evaporate as they come true
To anyone else just endless blue
An invisible kite string connects me to you
I knew that it’s selfish to think you’d come here
There’s so many people that must need you near
There’s so many people that need to know
That you’re still with them even when you go
That you’re still with them even when they don’t know

When it’s over, it’s over
I best get busy living
You’ll be a long time gone

And how do you know how much you’ll be missed
Does it add up to some names on a list
Do you know we’re just pieces of sky
Pieces of time that keep drifting by


(AMG review here.)

You decide which songs you like, if not all. Purchase Beth's CD... and enjoy!
-- David M Gordon / The Deipnosophist

Labels:

who's online