Google

The Deipnosophist

Where the science of investing becomes an art of living

My Photo
Name:
Location: Summerlin, Nevada, United States

A private investor for 20+ years, I manage private portfolios and write about investing. You can read my market musings on three different sites: 1) The Deipnosophist, dedicated to teaching the market's processes and mechanics; 2) Investment Poetry, a subscription site dedicated to real time investment recommendations; and 3) Seeking Alpha, a combination of the other two sites with a mix of reprints from this site and all-original content. See you here, there, or the other site!

18 March 2009

Introducing Tom Burger

Tom Burger and I have known each other for approximately 10 years. You might recall Tom shared his review of Meltdown last month. Now Tom begins his own blog, which deserves your attention. From Tom's introduction (below)...
-- David M Gordon / The Deipnosophist
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am sure the world doesn't need another blog, but to paraphrase what Scott Grannis said when he introduced his: I guess it won't hurt to add one more to the millions already out there.

Nobody who reads my circular posts will be surprised by my blog focus: I will be writing and posting articles on economic thinking applied to current events. I am calling the blog "Applying the Lessons of Free Market Economics" and I like my tag line: a quote from Ludwig von Mises:
"... economic history is a long record of government policies that failed because they were designed with a bold disregard for the laws of economics."
I believe that economists working in the so-called Austrian School tradition have done by far the best job of understanding and articulating those economic laws. Most often, therefore, my blog posts will highlight ideas from the great Austrian economists and relate those ideas to current events and economic developments.

In my opinion, this is not an unduly narrow focus. Consider, for example, that Mises and Hayek are on record as anticipating the Great Depression -- and most US economists seem to believe to this day that nobody anticipated it. In today's context, numerous Austrian economists and self-taught Austrian thinkers are on record as anticipating our present circumstances, explaining in detail why it would happen.

By contrast, when you look at recent statements made by people from elite economic circles, they all seemed convinced that the economy was strong - until it wasn't. They all said the banking sector was sound and solvent, until it wasn't. Now, the best these same people can do is to suggest that "capitalism" just suddenly went cuckoo for no particular reason.

I hope some of you will take a look, consider my thoughts, and offer your comments or criticism.

Thanks a lot. Here is the link to my blog.
Tom

Labels: ,

who's online