Google

The Deipnosophist

Where the science of investing becomes an art of living

My Photo
Name:
Location: Summerlin, Nevada, United States

A private investor for 20+ years, I manage private portfolios and write about investing. You can read my market musings on three different sites: 1) The Deipnosophist, dedicated to teaching the market's processes and mechanics; 2) Investment Poetry, a subscription site dedicated to real time investment recommendations; and 3) Seeking Alpha, a combination of the other two sites with a mix of reprints from this site and all-original content. See you here, there, or the other site!

16 May 2005

Support Your Local Blogger

The Internet is a fascinating medium, as it somehow confers credibility to any person willing to while away their free time typing their thoughts and opinions on any topic. Before the Internet were employers such as newspapers and magazines that, before providing a venue or bully pulpit for these people, would 'vet' their qualifications. As a result, we could take some measure of comfort that these opinion staters and opinion makers knew something whereof their topics.

Now we have nothing more than our own sense and sensibility. We each must determine and then judge the qualifications of those who attempt to dissuade and persuade via their facility with words. This includes me, as both buyer (reader) and seller (writer).

Aye, but that is the rub. What, precisely, do I sell? In a different epoch, I could expect a paycheck from my employer; now, however, I seek...
1) Interactivity: You share your comments, thoughts, compliments, and questions, which helps you to determine my worth - but also, in turn, increases my value to all;
2) Referrals: This site either grows its readership, or dies. Do not keep this blog as your secret. Please refer everybody here - allow them to determine whether this site provides value for their needs;
3) Recommendations: Those items in the sidebar (to the left). Click on each link to discover more about that recommendation, and then purchase from Amazon the selected item. You doing so helps fund my time and effort for this blog, as I receive payment. The same reality applies to the Google ads that are, you will note, specific to this site's topic. Thus, the Amazon links and Google ads amount to my paycheck. This site and I both require this support...
4) Visit "Friends" or "Sites I Like" etc, where you will discover comments from me that at times illumine discussions here. And where you can close the circle, and reenact items 1-3.

In brief, each of you should consider yourself as a modern-day Medici, or Patron of the Arts. Thank you, one and all, for your past and future support.

Your local gunfighter... er, blogger,
David

who's online