Google

The Deipnosophist

Where the science of investing becomes an art of living

My Photo
Name:
Location: Summerlin, Nevada, United States

A private investor for 20+ years, I manage private portfolios and write about investing. You can read my market musings on three different sites: 1) The Deipnosophist, dedicated to teaching the market's processes and mechanics; 2) Investment Poetry, a subscription site dedicated to real time investment recommendations; and 3) Seeking Alpha, a combination of the other two sites with a mix of reprints from this site and all-original content. See you here, there, or the other site!

17 July 2006

"on a darkling plain I met 'weltschmerz'"

I received via private email message the cleverest poem. Okay, perhaps I am fond of it because it is about me... well, kindasorta. I only wish I know who wrote and sent it; it arrives with only a subject header ("a wiser man might have slept last night...") and the poem. Nothing more to identify its author or sender.

I hope the poet speaks up for him or herself...

-- David M Gordon / The Deipnosophist
================================

Hours ago I sat to read of charts and trend
for my net worth years idle badly hurts
but thoughts of finance came to sudden end
when on a darkling plain I met "weltschmerz"

Oy vey! I cannot abide fruitless depression
no submissive leaps needed, and this I can show
you've simply been asking yourself the wrong question
So I say to your Moses "let my David go"

Reason and faith themselves get along
its the humans who trump up all the disputes
and you well know why they keep getting this wrong
their heads are stuck way up their own absolutes

The border where thinking crosses over to knowing
will vary for each, and that's no great surprise
its where one decides further just ain't worth going
so you stop calculating and make compromise

"Will the sun rise tomorrow?" I may ask of your powers
to model with maths or perform computations
but if this "proof" ain't finished in twenty-four hours
you're useless, I'll go with some approximations

Now I'm not the person to ask for a savior
you follow your bliss and choose to your taste
but I'll say that for humans all's betting behavior
seek "truth" when you've infinite resource to waste

"Call it a feeling, or...I just knew" -Mr. Gloom
from the one without faith...what's the name of that guy?
leave Golgotha for others, for you, Googlebensraum!
Oh yeah, by the way... when do I buy?

who's online