Google

The Deipnosophist

Where the science of investing becomes an art of living

My Photo
Name:
Location: Summerlin, Nevada, United States

A private investor for 20+ years, I manage private portfolios and write about investing. You can read my market musings on three different sites: 1) The Deipnosophist, dedicated to teaching the market's processes and mechanics; 2) Investment Poetry, a subscription site dedicated to real time investment recommendations; and 3) Seeking Alpha, a combination of the other two sites with a mix of reprints from this site and all-original content. See you here, there, or the other site!

05 August 2007

After a lengthy absence...

... "Music for the weekend" returns, thanks primarily to Allan Harris, who shared with me privately that he, and many other readers, enjoy the music suggestions. So with no further ado...

It is difficult to know which musician or band to recommend first, as I have enjoyed the music of so many phenomenally talented musicians since my last update; Sara Bareilles, however, is a very easy selection. I have not been this excited about a singer/songrwriter since 'discovering' the phenomenal talents of Patty Griffin and Brandi Carlile!



The CD's title Little Voice is misleading, as Sara has a big, BIG, voice. Her lyrics tell tales of love and heartbreak, and she sings them with a big voice, yes, but also sultry, jazzy, and very stylishly. The arrangements and composition smoke, carrying the listener from one song to another until, suddenly, the CD ends. WOW! (Sara's bio and AMG's review of Little Voice.)

The song I have decided to share, GRAVITY, receives a lot of radio play, and has been used in several movies already; I suspect you will recognize it immediately. It is not necessarily the best song on this, Sara's second CD, but it sure does impress (me)....







Gravity
Something always brings me back to you.
It never takes too long.
No matter what I say or do I'll still feel you here
'til the moment I'm gone.

You hold me without touch.
You keep me without chains.
I never wanted anything so much
than to drown in your love
and not feel your rain.

Set me free, leave me be.
I don't want to fall another moment into your gravity.

Here I am and I stand so tall,
just the way I'm supposed to be.
But you're on to me and all over me.

Oh… You loved me 'cause I'm fragile.
When I thought that I was strong.
But you touch me for a little while
and all my fragile strength is gone.

Set me free, leave me be.
I don't want to fall another moment into your gravity.

Here I am and I stand so tall,
just the way I'm supposed to be.
But you're on to me and all over me…

I live here on my knees as I try to make you see
that you're everything I think I need
here on the ground.
But you're neither friend nor foe
though I can't seem to let you go.
The one thing that I still know
is that you're keeping me down…
Keeping me down.

But you're on to me and all over me.

Something always brings me back to you.
It never takes too long.

... in fact, the entire CD smokes! Enjoy!

And, as always, please share your comments re this week's selection of music for a weekend...
David M Gordon / The Deipnosophist

Labels:

who's online