Google

The Deipnosophist

Where the science of investing becomes an art of living

My Photo
Name:
Location: Summerlin, Nevada, United States

A private investor for 20+ years, I manage private portfolios and write about investing. You can read my market musings on three different sites: 1) The Deipnosophist, dedicated to teaching the market's processes and mechanics; 2) Investment Poetry, a subscription site dedicated to real time investment recommendations; and 3) Seeking Alpha, a combination of the other two sites with a mix of reprints from this site and all-original content. See you here, there, or the other site!

22 February 2005

When is an obituary more than an obituary?

When I read obituaries such as this one, I rue I never met the woman; we seem simpatico.

I long ago lost count the numbers of times I have railed against improper usage of the (English) language -- too much reliance upon jargon, too many pronouns, and the prevailing confusion between the restrictive and non-restrictive clauses -- all lead to confusion for the reader or listener.

"Miss Gould" stood for clarity of speech and writing "For example, some years ago, she saw the phrase "'...and now sat stone still, chewing gum throughout the proceedings' and suggested replacing the last bit with 'sat stone still except for his jaw, which chewed gum.'"

Be still my heart. And now you are gone. At least you are remembered via an obituary that is as fine an example of clarity in writing that you could dream of.

(Yes, Miss Gould, I wrote that final sentence purposely incorrectly! ;-)

who's online