Google

The Deipnosophist

Where the science of investing becomes an art of living

My Photo
Name:
Location: Summerlin, Nevada, United States

A private investor for 20+ years, I manage private portfolios and write about investing. You can read my market musings on three different sites: 1) The Deipnosophist, dedicated to teaching the market's processes and mechanics; 2) Investment Poetry, a subscription site dedicated to real time investment recommendations; and 3) Seeking Alpha, a combination of the other two sites with a mix of reprints from this site and all-original content. See you here, there, or the other site!

16 February 2005

Why the book club is more than a fad

This article makes for fascinating reading, even though the answer to its inherent question, "So what is behind this cultural phenomenon? It is clear that reading groups are about more than reading" is obvious to me.

Reading, as we all know, tends to be a solitary pursuit, whereas we humans in general tend to be social. What better method to achieve my prized connectedness than to combine the two? Of course, participants of these reading groups might have ulterior motives: meet other people, meet a significant other, have a good time, have adult conversations, etc. "But there is clearly something about our current social and cultural circumstances that has made this book club explosion happen now. It is partly, perhaps, about the desire to forge personal links in a fractured world."

I do not belong to a reading group, but drat, I sure wish I did!

who's online