Google

The Deipnosophist

Where the science of investing becomes an art of living

My Photo
Name:
Location: Summerlin, Nevada, United States

A private investor for 20+ years, I manage private portfolios and write about investing. You can read my market musings on three different sites: 1) The Deipnosophist, dedicated to teaching the market's processes and mechanics; 2) Investment Poetry, a subscription site dedicated to real time investment recommendations; and 3) Seeking Alpha, a combination of the other two sites with a mix of reprints from this site and all-original content. See you here, there, or the other site!

08 July 2005

Now is a good moment...

... to begin scanning for negative divergences.

At 10:10 am pdt, the markets have pushed to the day's highs -- and resistance. So I begin my search for divergences with intermarket analysis -- what occurs in the currencies (in particular, cross rates)? the bonds (specifically, the US Treasuries)? metals (gold, silver, etc)? Oil?

Then I study the intra-day action, starting with the 1 minute charts (and expanding periodicities from there) for everything I hold (remember, I buy only the market leaders), and those stocks I have yet to purchase but consider. Then I seek "tension on the tape" as my erstwhile but long gone friend, Ed Hart, once taught me.

If everything appears 'kosher', I continue to hold -- perhaps even seeking new purchase opportunities. If things begin to appear amiss, I take appropriate action.

Because I favor using the weekly basis charts for my investment purchases, trading of this type is best done around a core holding. Thus, even if I am wrong, I am right, and if I am right, I am not too wrong. If you ken my meaning!

who's online