Google

The Deipnosophist

Where the science of investing becomes an art of living

My Photo
Name:
Location: Summerlin, Nevada, United States

A private investor for 20+ years, I manage private portfolios and write about investing. You can read my market musings on three different sites: 1) The Deipnosophist, dedicated to teaching the market's processes and mechanics; 2) Investment Poetry, a subscription site dedicated to real time investment recommendations; and 3) Seeking Alpha, a combination of the other two sites with a mix of reprints from this site and all-original content. See you here, there, or the other site!

31 October 2005

Time & the Art of Trading

This interview with Willem Van der Vorm offers excellent understanding of the markets and its processes, especially from the perspective of a trader. A trader who made the difficult transition from floor trading to screen trading...

TRADERS´: How did moving from the floor to the screen change your trading approach? You must have had to completely re-learn trading?

Van der Vorm: Yes, completely. On the floor you have your eyes and ears; on the screen you only have your eyes. You have to try and translate what the prices are telling you and judge from that alone how you are going to trade it.

TRADERS´: Did you find yourself trying to recreate the same kind of trades you were doing on the floor?

Van der Vorm: No, what I was trying to do was to visualise the floor. I’m a big believer in trader psychology and how that moves markets. So I had to learn how the markets behaved, particularly the DAX (future), just as I had spent years on the floor learning how the FTSE future behaved. The difference being, on screen I wasn’t able to see who was doing what, basically similar to trading without an arm or a leg, but I soon got the hang of it and started trading the DAX.


Alas, this interview is a .pdf file that I am unable to upload to this site and with no available link (yet). If you are interested in reading a copy, please email your interest. My reply will include the file attachment.

who's online