Google

The Deipnosophist

Where the science of investing becomes an art of living

My Photo
Name:
Location: Summerlin, Nevada, United States

A private investor for 20+ years, I manage private portfolios and write about investing. You can read my market musings on three different sites: 1) The Deipnosophist, dedicated to teaching the market's processes and mechanics; 2) Investment Poetry, a subscription site dedicated to real time investment recommendations; and 3) Seeking Alpha, a combination of the other two sites with a mix of reprints from this site and all-original content. See you here, there, or the other site!

27 April 2007

Music to kick-start the weekend

And I mean kick start.

Brandi Carlile's first album earned enthusiastic reviews, and Carlile was named by Rolling Stone as one of 2005's "Artists to Watch."

"Watch"?! How about marvel over? Her second CD release, The Story, is even better than her first CD. Brandi has a phenomenal voice, has a massive grasp of how to arrange and compose music (it is not merely writing soppy lyrics and strumming a guitar lazily, emphasizing the downstrokes), and she writes lyrics that belie her age (she is now only 25)... Oh, and she is easy to look at.

"... accentuating the arty undercurrents that ran throughout her debut — a move that highlights her ambition and helps push her out of the rootless ether and into something that sounds distinctly contemporary. In other words, Carlile's Buckley and Yorke influences are brought to the forefront here — not just in her soaring, neo-operatic vocals, either, but also how her writing is at once more brooding, dramatic, and open-ended than it was on the debut — which makes her sound modern." Complete AMG review here.

Brandi Carlile (and her band) smokes, especially on this song, the first single from her new CD...


Or watch it here...

Video removed by request of label, BMG.
The Story:

All of these lines across my face
Tell you the story of who I am
So many stories of where I've been
And how I got to where I am
But these stories don't mean anything
When you've got no one to tell them to
It's true... I was made for you.

I climbed across the mountain tops
Swam all across the ocean blue
I crossed all the lines and I broke all the rules
But baby I broke them all for you
Because even when I was flat broke
You made me feel like a million bucks
You do... and I was made for you

You see the smile that's on my mouth
It's hiding the words that don't come out
And all of my friends who think that I'm blessed
They don't know my head is a mess
No, they don't know who I really am
And they don't know what I've been through like you do
And I was made for you...

All of these lines across my face
Tell you the story of who I am
So many stories of where I've been
And how I got to where I am
Oh but these stories don't mean anything
When you've got no one to tell them to...
It's true -- I was made for you
Oh yeah it's true that I was made for you.

I listen to a a lot of music (perhaps more than most people), and this CD ranks with Patty Griffin's, Children Running Through as among only a few of the best CDs I have 'discovered' this past year. Try this song. Purchase Brandi's new CD. (Amazon link in sidebar under "Currently Spinning.")

As always, I would like to know your thoughts in reply.
-- David M Gordon / The Deipnosophist

Labels:

who's online