Google

The Deipnosophist

Where the science of investing becomes an art of living

My Photo
Name:
Location: Summerlin, Nevada, United States

A private investor for 20+ years, I manage private portfolios and write about investing. You can read my market musings on three different sites: 1) The Deipnosophist, dedicated to teaching the market's processes and mechanics; 2) Investment Poetry, a subscription site dedicated to real time investment recommendations; and 3) Seeking Alpha, a combination of the other two sites with a mix of reprints from this site and all-original content. See you here, there, or the other site!

07 April 2005

Brief Update

As volume goes, so go I.

This means that in the example of Radiation Therapy/RTSX, in which volume explodes higher with price, I quickly scratch the trading objective in favor of an investment objective. (One measure of the difference between trades and investments is that of time; the other, of course, is price.) Contrary to RTSX is Parker Drilling/PKD: when the originally perceived breakout is achieved by price alone -- not acccompanied by an explosive increase in volume -- then I know most likely that my original analysis is faulty, even incorrect. In situations such as this, I choose to tweak the line. What I do not do is buy the supposed breakout. Without volume, (it goes) without me.


Meanwhile, bebe/BEBE and Men's Wearhouse/MW promise to open significantly higher today, while Urban Outfitters/URBN nears a major breakout. And of course, PF Changs/PFCB performed yesterday as expected and on schedule. Red Robin Gourmet/RRGBE performs well, too. These breakouts occur masked by the weakness in the Retail Holders/RTH index, which is heavily weighted to and weighted down by WalMart/WMT and Home Depot/HD. (Of course, the restaurants are not part of the RTH index.) The homebuilders, the market's erstwhile leadership, teeter and even begin to break down; the critical question, however, is whether they break down from tops or are declines prefatory to another intermediate term base. I hope to post a lengthier update sometime this weekend.

who's online