Google

The Deipnosophist

Where the science of investing becomes an art of living

My Photo
Name:
Location: Summerlin, Nevada, United States

A private investor for 20+ years, I manage private portfolios and write about investing. You can read my market musings on three different sites: 1) The Deipnosophist, dedicated to teaching the market's processes and mechanics; 2) Investment Poetry, a subscription site dedicated to real time investment recommendations; and 3) Seeking Alpha, a combination of the other two sites with a mix of reprints from this site and all-original content. See you here, there, or the other site!

10 July 2005

We Need To Talk About Kevin

As those of you who regularly read the sidebar know, I just completed reading the novel, WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT KEVIN, by Lionel Shriver.

I will not bore you with the details of why or how I like this novel; I will admit, however, that after reading a novel as excellent this one reminds me why I suffer reading so much dross to find the gloss. This specific novel astounded, dazzled, and stupefied me by its qualities as a story exceedingly well told, with powerful writing and profound insights. In fact, at a mere 400 pages, I should have completed reading it within one to two days, three at [the] most. And yet the book is a marvel: I was slowed down by the sheer glory of the writer's talent -- each sentence is particulary well crafted, and packs an exceedingly powerful punch. Simply magisterial.

And as such, it qualifies easily as a recommendation for all readers. The Amazon link can be found under recommended books in the sidebar.

who's online